THE LIGHTER SIDE
Submitted to us by Vito Mazza of Leonia, NJ
You know you grew up in an Italian family when...
- Every Sunday afternoon of your childhood was spent visiting your grandparents and extended family.
- You've experienced the phenomena of 150 people fitting into 50 square feet of yard during a family cookout.
- You were surprised to discover the FDA recommends you eat three meals a day, not seven.
- You thought everyone's last name ended in a vowel.
- You were as tall as your grandmother by the age of seven.
- You thought nylons were supposed to be worn rolled to the ankles.
- You ate your salad after the main course.
- You were beaten at least once with a wooden spoon.
- You have at least one relative who came over "on the boat."
- You grew up calling the bathroom the baccausa. And you only had one.
- You grew up thinking no fruit or vegetable had a fixed price and that the price of everything was negotiable through haggling.
- You grew up in a house with a yard that didn't have one patch of dirt that didn't have a flower or a vegetable growing out of it.
- You thought everyone got pinched on the cheeks and money stuffed in their pockets by their relatives.
- You ate pasta for dinner at least three times a week, and every Sunday.
- You thought every meal had to be eaten with a hunk of bread in your left hand.
- You can understand Italian but you can't speak it.
- You have at least six male relatives named Tony, Frankie or Louie.
- You have relatives who aren't really your relatives.
- You thought that loud talking was normal.
- Your house was a home for all the children in the neighborhood.
- Your mother is overly protective of the males in the family no matter what their age.
- You couldn't date a boy without getting approval from your father.
- You know what lemon ice is.
<< Back to Articles
PHONE & FAX
(973) 625–4979 (alt.)
(973) 263–4244 (fax)
6 Rose Court
Denville, NJ 07834-1717
1055 Parsippany Blvd.
Parsippany, NJ 07054-1230
OUR PAGE ON FACEBOOK